|Urgent Action||10 July 2003|
HTML | PDF | Text
PROJECT ENTERS THE FUNDING PIPELINE : The countdown starts now!
120 days to stop banks using YOUR money
to pay for big oil.
BP has now formally asked for funding from the World Bank (IFC) and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) for its controversial new Caspian oil pipeline (BVEJ newsletters passim). This means there are just 120 days before their decision is made. The banks call this 120 days the ‘public consultation period’ – so we all get a chance let them know what we think of the BTC pipeline.
The only thing which stands between Big Oil getting your money and setting a precedent against funding these types of projects is YOU!
5 urgent steps to stop YOUR money going to BIG OIL:
1. Write letters to the potential funders: the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and International Finance Corporation (IFC).
Contact: Jean Lemierre, President, EBRD, One Exchange Square, London EC2A 2JN and cc to
John Kerby, UK Executive Director at the same address. John Kerby can also be emailed mailto:KerbyJ@ebrd.com
suggested text http://www.bakuceyhan.org.uk/EBRDsampleletter.doc
Also write to
James Wolfensohn, President, World Bank, 1818 H Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20433 U.S.A.
suggested text http://www.bakuceyhan.org.uk/worldbanksampleletter.doc
2. Write to your MP (and persuade three of your mates to do the same). Request that your MP send a letter of concern to Baroness Amos at the Department for International Development (DFID). Also request a meeting with your MP – this needs to be a hot political issue! If just five people in every constituency request a meeting, the pressure will really start to tell…
Write to your MP
at House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA.
To find out the
name of your MP, go to
You can also Fax
3. Bring public consultation to the institutions! Join in the days of action to mark the months of the 120 day period:
4. We need to reach thousands of people to build a groundswell of public opposition to this human rights and environmental disaster – so please help organise a public meeting in your area. Baku campaign can send speakers. Call 01865 200550 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. More info and to find out what more you can do:
@nti copyright - information for education and action - copy and distribute